Here's a run down of everything you need to know about the MCQ component of the Primary FRCA examination.
- It is delivered online using TestReach, info about which you can find here
- It is a three hour exam
- You have to pass it before you can sit the OSCE and SOE components
90 Single Best Answer Questions
New since September 2023, the exam will be entirely composed of SBA questions, with the previous Multiple True False style questions being phased out completely.
In general you can expect to be given:
- 30 for pharmacology
- 30 for physiology, biochemistry and anatomy
- 30 for physics, clinical measurement, statistical methods and data interpretation
The curriculum requirements can be found here
Am I eligible to sit?
- GMC licence or equivalent
- RCoA membership (CT/ACCS/ICM) or equivalent
- Not sat it more than five times before
Full details here
It is marked electronically and each question scores a single point, with no negative marking, so the total possible score is 90.
The pass mark is determined using the Angoff method, which basically means a bunch of experts decide what the pass mark should be.
Upcoming exam dates
- Tuesday 5th September - Apply between 30/5/23 and 10/7/23
- Monday 20th November - Apply between 7/8/23 and 23/9/23
- Friday 16th February - Apply between 20/11/23 and 20/12/23
Currently it costs £385 to enter
For more info and to apply - click here